I have never met a person who would not like a more free and purpose-filled life. Jesus came to bring us life, so it makes sense there is a longing in all of us for life and life more abundantly. Yet so many struggle to stay the course and walk into victory. We get stuck into the status quo and maintenance mode in our lives, while dreams, potential and possibilities begin to wane. There are many reasons for this, but at the top of this list is a big one:
Lack of Clear Vision & Revelation
Proverbs 29:18 in the King James tells us, Where there is no vision, the people perish. The New King James does a better job translating it, by saying, Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint…
What is Vision & Revelation?
When we look at this word that is translated “vision” or “revelation,” we are speaking of vision, dreams, having a vision, having a revelation or even divine communication. This is not just having knowledge about the things of God. Revelation involves having a personal encounter with truth that has become a part of who you are. Revelation is an unveiling, where you were once blind to something but now you can see and perceive something for your life that is beyond yourself.
- Revelation moves from simple knowledge into ownership. You don’t just know something. Truth has become part of who you are.
- Revelation comes from digesting the word of God. It is in His word that life becomes breathed in us, opening the eyes of our spiritual understanding.
- Revelation leads us to encounter God, not just know theories about Him.
- Revelation gives a vision or dream for our future. Even though we see through a glass dimly, there is a strong sense of direction, because of what vision and revelation have deposited in your heart.
Many people have truly lost their ability to dream, especially because they lack personal revelation for their life and journey. Life and the enemy’s devices have a way of sapping the strength of vision and revelation out of people’s lives.
Staci Eldredge, in her new book Becoming Myself, makes a startling statement about our current generation’s ability to dream and maintain a dreaming life.
Most Americans (80 percent) say they don’t have any dreams, and we can imagine why. Life can suck the dreaming right out of you. The living God wants to pour those dreams back in. Sixteen percent of Americans say they do have dreams, but they don’t write them down. Four percent have dreams and desires, and write them down, but less than 1 percent review and update them on a regular basis.[1. Ransomed Heart Daily Readings http://www.ransomedheart.com/daily-reading/we-cant-out-dream-god]
It is sad how many people have lost the dreamer inside of them and they lack the ability to keep a concise vision before them throughout the day. Too many lack any eyesight beyond just getting through the day.
Are You All Over the Place?
Proverbs tells us that without this relevant vision and revelation, people “cast off restraint.” Translated, this word in the original language means to loosen, ignore, let alone, neglect, loosen of restraint or lack of restraint. Basically what happens is without the guiding clear revelation of who God is in our generations, people fall into the following:
- Lives that are all over the place. Stressed out. Busy, but no clear sense of direction. People lose a sense of where they are going, so they just go anywhere. That is why you find so many people just staying busy, even though they have no idea what they are busy for.
- There is no governing value system in day to day living. So people start to do what is right in their own eyes, without any sense of accountability to a higher standard or someone to lead them.
- People lose the daily restraint to stay on course to the vision, so their lives begin to crumble in ways that are not of God.
When I Have Vision & Revelation:
1. I have a better picture of who I am and what God has called me into.
The problem is that too many have developed a very small lens of God, therefore they have a small lens of themselves, seeing only what is humanly possible in front of them. We then lack a solid identity that is beyond the job we have right now and the resources that are presently available. So therefore attaching to a higher call beyond that become futile for most.
Peter knew that aligning yourself with God’s call on your life would become a guiding force in your journey, even keeping you from stumbling.
Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble. 2 Peter 1:10 NKJV
Jeremiah’s call became a fire inside of him that has to actually work to contain, but could not.
But His word was in my heart like a burning fire shut up in my bones; I was weary of holding it back, and I could not. Jeremiah 20:9 NKJV
But first, I need to have a better vision for who I am becoming. I need eyesight for an upgraded version of myself in God that I am moving towards. Revelation helps me see this.
2. I have the ability to see or perceive what may not be visible right now.
It sees beyond the present conditions into what is possible with God. Faith, hope and love work together in my heart to guide my perspective and steps. I see myself getting more free, even though it doesn’t seem like I am totally free right now.
3. I keep my eyes focused on the extraordinary.
When I am living from vision and revelation, then my meditation is focused on impossibilities becoming possible. I move into what has not been moved into before, therefor my primary goal is not comfort, but stretching myself into unplowed territory. I can see myself moving into a place that is beyond what I thought I could be or handle before.
4. I see significance anywhere I am in life.
Having vision does not always mean huge in the American sense, that you are all going to be billionaires and that everyone will be New York Times bestsellers. But you see godly significance in every place you find yourself. You shine as a son or daughter of God anywhere you are. That means if you are working as a bank teller, you work as the best bank teller in the company. This means if you are a administrator, you administrate brilliantly. For most, just arriving early, staying a few minutes late and adding value to your bosses life will set you apart from everyone that is there. Those who see significance in where they are make the best of what they have in every circumstance. This is heavenly excellence.
5. I have a “why” for the goals I set in my life.
Every decision in life now flows out the vision you have in your life. You are not just chasing after shallow dreams or self-serving goals. You come from a place of meaning and purpose that is connected to a divine picture for you life. I have a purpose behind why I am changing and growing. I am not seeking freedom just to feel better. I am actually connecting to an identity and calling that will impact generations to come.
Question: Where do you need to raise the level of vision and revelation over your life?