This week we want to discuss the subject of burnout, which can be defined as a state of emotional, mental, and physical exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress. It occurs when you feel overwhelmed and unable to meet constant demands.
Burnout mostly occurs regarding people’s jobs and careers, but burnout can also occur to mom’s, church volunteers and in any area of responsibility.
Burnout seems to be happening more and more. In fact, many people are struggling with spiritual and emotional factors in their life, and they do not realize they are actually battling deep burnout. I have watched too many friends and people walk into burnout, only to realize they are in it, too late.
According to PsychologyToday.com, burnout is a state of chronic stress that leads to:
- physical and emotional exhaustion
- cynicism and detachment
- feelings of ineffectiveness and lack of accomplishment
The Mayo Clinic Lists the Following Questions Regarding Job Burnout:
- Have you become cynical or critical at work?
- Do you drag yourself to work and have trouble getting started once you arrive?
- Have you become irritable or impatient with co-workers, customers or clients?
- Do you lack the energy to be consistently productive?
- Do you lack satisfaction from your achievements?
- Do you feel disillusioned about your job?
- Are you using food, drugs or alcohol to feel better or to simply not feel?
- Have your sleep habits or appetite changed?
- Are you troubled by unexplained headaches, backaches or other physical complaints?
What causes us to fall into burnout?
- A loss of who we are – IDENTITY
- A loss of where we are going – PURPOSE
- A loss of what is important – PRIORITIES
- A loss of tending to the HEART
- A loss of personal boundaries – PEOPLE PLEASING, NOT SAYING NO, OVERACHIEVING
- A loss of healthy cultures – NO ONE’S LOOKING OUT FOR BURNOUT
Mark shares his own story of burnout and what he has done to move more towards health in his life.
We also outline the best things to do regarding burnout.
Recommended Book: Leading on Empty – Wayne Cordeiro
Watch on Video or Listen on Audio:
[table id=3 /]
Get Two Free Chapters!
Join our mailing list and get a free download of the Introduction and Chapter 1 of God Loves Me and I Love Myself!